Natural Fit Wheelchair Push Rims
Availability: In stock
The Natural-Fit Handrim enhances performance and efficiency by incorporating two components, an oval and a thumb piece that sits between the oval and the wheel rim and reduces the effort needed to grip to the rim. This ergonomic grip makes it possible to cover the same ground with less fatigue, eases pain in the hands and wrists and provides greater control when braking.
There are two different grips available for this handrim:
The Standard Grip uses a powder coat on the thumb piece which provides a low friction surface to go along with the smooth braking surface on the oval.
The Super Grip uses an advanced copolymer coating which provides a higher friction surface on the thumb piece, this provides a grippier propulsion surface for your thumb.
These coating options are for the thumb area only, the oval component of the Natural-Fit is always hard anodized in black to provide a smooth breaking surface.
The Natural-Fit LT uses a reduced weight and smaller profile oval than the standard Natural-Fit Handrim. It is more than 17% lighter and is designed for those looking for a reduction in weight or a smaller gripping surface.
It is the combination of the Natural-Fit's contoured thumb piece and the oval that gives the Natural-Fit and the LT their unique ability to provide a superior gripping surface, a place to rest your thumb, and dual surfaces for propulsion and braking. However, because we recognise that each person has their own preferences, there are also options in which these components may be used separately. Here are just a few examples:
- If you are only interested in a larger gripping or braking surface, then you may want just the oval component, which with a tab mount, can be set in the narrow, inside tab position, reducing the width of your wheelchair.
- If you are only interested in closing the gap between your rim and wheel (so that your fingers do not get caught) and/or in having a place to rest your thumb, then the contoured thumb area may be all you want. Our contoured thumb pieces can be installed using most existing round-tube handrims, provided that they are not coated.
Natural-Fit vs. Natural-Fit LT (Oval Options)
- The size and weight of the oval component is the difference between the Natural-Fit and the Natural-Fit LT.
- The Natural-Fit (below to the left) uses the original, larger profile oval. It offers 80% more surface area for gripping than a standard handrim yet weighs just 255 grams more.
- The Natural-Fit LT (below to the right) uses a reduced weight, smaller profile oval. It is more than 17% lighter and is designed for those looking for a reduction in weight or a smaller gripping surface (for those with smaller hands).
- The LT is more than 17% lighter than the original Natural-Fit -- it weighs just 567 grams (about 140 grams more than a standard round-tube handrim).
With thje Natural Fit able to reduce pushing effort by 16%, what are they like to use in the real world?
Watch the video as a Natural Fit user describes her experience